Saturday, July 28, 2007

Creative


Dutch Apple Cake - part of the weekly Photo Hunters
********


I found this in my grandmother’s recipe box after she died. I don’t ever recall her having made it. My grandfather said it was a recipe from the neighbor – something like Mrs. Hufnagel – and that anything that came from the neighbor was DELICIOUS. So I made it for him and every time he swore it was the best Dutch Apple Cake he’d ever eaten.


******************


Dutch Apple Cake

2 ½ cups sifted flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 tablespoons sugar
1 cup butter
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla
6 medium cooking apples (I use Granny Smith)

1 ½ cups sugar
2 ½ tablespoons flour
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup butter
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Sift flour, baking powder and sugar together. Cut in butter until mixture is crumbly; add vanilla to egg, blend with flour mixture. Press evenly into bottom and sides of 15x10 pan. Arrange peeled slice apples in overlapping layers to cover dough. Combine remaining ingredients. Sprinkle over apples. Bake in moderate oven – 350 degrees for 45 minutes, or until apples are tender and topping is golden brown. Cut into squares. Serve warm or cold with whipped cream or ice cream. MAKES 18 SERVINGS.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That looks yummy! Can you send me the recipe, or is it in the Betty Crocker cook book? Great idea for creative, thanks for sharing and have a wonderful week.

Flower Child said...

It came from my grandmother's recipe box after she died. I think she got it from the neighbor, who I vaguely recall as being Swedish.

soccer mom in denial said...

You are super creative. That is awesome.

Bravo for joining photo hunters.