Monday, August 27, 2007

I went to a wedding in a garden...

Reading my friend's blog today I was reminded of a trip I took several years ago to New Orleans for a friend's wedding. I had never been there before (and sadly, since) and really had no idea where I was going. Our soon-to-be-married friend had planned his wedding to coincide with Jazz Fest as he is a talented musician - talk about making sure your guests are happy!

The wedding was held in a park whose name I've since forgotten with a beautiful fountain and flowerbeds for decoration. The ceremony was a little informal - no chairs or aisles - but then out of a corner, the bride appeared and a wedding was upon us! In addition to the invited guests, anyone walking by was welcome to share in the moment.

While our short visit was mainly confined to the French Quarter (beignets and coffee at Cafe du Monde everyday was just fine by me!), I did manage to avoid the Bourbon St. image and enjoy some of the legendary food, friendship, music, and yes, the gardens of New Orleans.


2 comments:

soccer mom in denial said...

Horay! A lov-e-ly tribute to a wonderful city. Laisez les bon temps roulez.

Now go buy a t-shirt.

Flower Child said...

I did! It has a picture of beignets and coffee on it. Very appropos for my memory.