Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Bordeaux


It's that time of the week - injecting a little geographic exploration into an otherwise sedentary life.

***************************************************

There comes a time in everyone's life when they get that phone call from their parents. "We're retiring to..." Boca Raton? Warm weather. Early Bird Specials. There's something to be said for that.

My mother and stepfather who lived in England for several years (he's British) called me several years back to announce their plans.

"Bordeaux".
"As in France?".
"Yes, they have nice wine there. And good weather. And good health care."

Fine by me!


They have spent the past few years in their new home mostly renovating it. It's a nice old farmhouse that really reminded you of, well, a farmhouse. Rustic sink. Barn. That sort of stuff. It is now a lovely house with a gourmet kitchen and an upstairs suite for visitors.

Instead of the trek to the $5.95 buffet that I would be making if they lived in Florida, I'm trekking down the hill to the wine co-op to fill our 10 liter jug with the village red. Life is good!

The first time I met my husband he overheard me at a party talking about how my mother was moving to Bordeaux. He interrupted the conversation, injecting "what?! why aren't you there now?!".

A couple of years later when I brought him to meet my parents I thought he would dump me afterwards - he got his trip to Bordeaux, what did he need me for after that? Instead, he proposed. Guess he wasn't sufficiently scared off by my mother. Maybe he was too drunk to notice. Maybe he figured he could someday inherit a farmhouse in France and retire there.




Where will you be retiring to?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tuscany. Beyond a shadow of a doubt. Although CableDad grew up in Bavaria so he wants to go back there. I'll set him straight eventually. ;)

Jen said...

Oooo, CG, I want a retirement home near yours. I'd love Tuscany.

What D and I have talked about, vaguely, is Portugal. Or staying here in MI. Or Costa Rica. A lot will depend on the world economy, but if I had my druthers... wow, so many choices!

Wholly Burble said...

Oh my, I'm going to be doing good if I can ever get my DH to leave Iowa! He's pretty rooted here in this rich black loam. And with his two sons both here, and his grandkids--I don't see me getting him out of dry-dock. As for me . . . I don't mind tripping by my lonesome, so where ever YOU guys land, I get dibs on visiting!