Tuesday, September 23, 2008

5 Minute University

I was reading about Sarah Palin's visit to the UN today (or somewhere in the vicinity - with her you never if she actually went to a place or just flew over it) and it got me thinking - how many countries have I "visited" in an attempt to expand my foreign policy knowledge.

"Visited" in this case meaning that I stopped there to refuel or perhaps make a connection but didn't get farther than the terminal - as evidenced by a lack of passport stamp (assuming you have a passport to begin with...). I'd count the number I actually visited (complete with aforementioned stamp) but then comparing my visits with Sarah Palin's would be like comparing apples and oranges - basically, I'd pummel her with fruit.

In terms of "visited" I would include:
Senegal
Guinea
Togo
South Korea

hmmm... not too many. So I guess that makes me a lightweight when it comes to foreign policy creds. But still more than World Traveler Palin.

Then I saw that she was "meeting" with world leaders in NY - again, not exactly thorough get to know you over several days of negotiations meetings - more like layovers. How many world leaders have I "met"? Hmmm.... Won't go there because there's some I can't tell you about. But let me throw one down just so I don't look like a total novice. The King of Pobe. Small kingdom, nice guy. About a 15 minute chit chat. Guess Sarah beat me today!

If Sarah Palin thinks that her brief tete-a-tetes (hey Sarah, that's French for head to head or more like face to face meetings) with world leaders this week is going to meaningfully enhance an otherwise anemic resume then I've got a university I'd like to send you to - if you go twice, you might just get a PhD!



0 comments: