Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Bitterballen Bonanza

Having read about the glory that is bitterballen - and subsequently trying the Haitian version...I had to try them in the motherland. I was not disappointed.

As my friends pointed out to me, there is a trick to eating the glorious bits of heaven. Always break them open first so that the steam escapes or else you'll get bitterballen burned. And that's no fun.


How do they compare to Haiti's version? The outside is crisper and inside is chunkier. Better but not so much that I won't pass them up next time I'm in Port au Prince.

And what's even more fun? When the waiter that delivers them is named "Jip P" - as in Yippee! How perfect!

1 comments:

Jen said...

We had Dutch friends and the father was Jap and the son was Jip. I loved saying their names together and in different combinations. Obviously, I was easily amused. ;-)