Tuesday, October 21, 2008

I Be Illin'

Invariably it happens, you're traveling and come down with something akin to the flu. Well, maybe it doesn't happen to everyone, but lately I've spent more time away from home so the odds were against me.

I went to visit my dear friends in The Hague for a few days before going on to Nigeria (for work) and came down with what seemed to be a nasty cold. Only it got worse and worse. And then my dear friends said to me "you are too sick to fly". At first I took this as a compliment - they wanted me to stay longer - but then upon hearing my own reply "nob I'b obay" I realized that I really couldn't breathe. Or at least talk and breathe, eat and breathe... so here I am.

Lucky for me said friends also have a doctor here in the Netherlands. Let me clarify - they have a doctor who prescribes drugs. Apparently, drugs are not commonly given out here - "tough it out the Dutch way". Seriously, we know women who were denied drugs during childbirth! Don't they know, better living through chemistry.

I got up early, changed my flights (I love my travel agent) and off we went to the doctor. Did I mention he's the same guy who took care of Milosevic (this being The Hague, the prison is just down the road.) Despite other less than charming patients, he treated me well. Joked around in incomprehensible English with a Dutch accent and I was on my way, prescriptions in hand.

I'm so happy now. I'm breathing.

1 comments:

Jen said...

Breathing is highly recommended. Feel better!