Wednesday, October 17, 2007

I'm It!

I've been tagged by Soccer Mom in Denial. Can't say I know exactly what this means but I'll give it a shot. Her meme was about books. Herewith, my answers:

Total Number of Books
Uh, bunches? Honestly, I'm one of those people who treasures certain books and believes that giving a book away (to a friend or charity) is one of the best things you can do. Unless you're going to reread it then let someone else experience the joy. Although I do maintain a collection of my absolute favorites that I turn to again and again. That includes children's books as well. My husband is not quite as good as giving away books as I am but he's getting there :)

Last Book Read
Hmmm....I pick up lots of books and start them. Then put them down because it's not quite the right time for that book. So I guess the last book I finished was "And His Lovely Wife..." by Connie Schultz - the lovely wife of newly-elected US Senator Sherrod Brown, who is the cousin of a my sister's friend from Peace Corps. Convoluted connection but much shorter than it appears. Sherrod was recently voted one of the most beautiful people on Capitol Hill - and his wife is truly lovely inside and out.

Last Book Bought
I guess that would be Connie Schultz's book. Although I do have a stack of books to read when the time is right. And my mother-in-law loves to send me books she thinks I'll like (mostly about food - go figure!)

Five Meaningful Books
Meaningful to ME I presume...the first 5 that come to mind

To Kill A Mockingbird - if only for the line "Until I feared I would lose it, I never loved to read. One does not love breathing."

Much Depends On Dinner - Margaret Visser is something of a food anthropologist, tracing several components of a meal from their origins and discussing their significance in society. I have numerous other books about food (I was tempted to list The New Best Recipe here) but I think this is the one that really got me started.

No Ordinary Time - Doris Kearns Goodwin's biography (?) of FDR and Eleanor. At over 700 pages it is a page turner. And I cried so hard when FDR died - as if I didn't see that coming.

Me Talk Pretty One Day - I love David Sedaris. He has a sick sense of humor that I just can't get enough of. MTPOD was the first book of his that I read and I've not stopped devouring his writing (also found in the New Yorker!). His sister Amy is a hoot too!

Eloise - Kay Thompson's wonderful tale about a precocious girl who lives at the Plaza Hotel with her nanny, pug, and turtle. I give this book as a baby gift - even the boys should learn about how much fun, mischievous, and confident girls can be. I have a copy signed by the illustrator, Hilary Knight.

And I would echo Soccer Mom's love of the New Yorker! We've been subscribing since as long as I can remember.

I also have a long list of baseball books and even more food books. So hard to choose amongst them all!

2 comments:

painted maypole said...

thanks for coming by my blog. And, I'm going to guess you found me through soccer mom in denial. ;)

I used to subscribe to the New Yorker, but found that I would read every article from beginning to end and would therefore have months and months of them stacked up and then feel terrible about it.

I am much better about not having to read everything now, and could probably give it a go again (I do miss it) but I gave up my student rate long ago, and now balk at the price!

soccer mom in denial said...

GREAT JOB DARLING!! And you got a new reader to boot (I just adore Painted Maypole).

To Kill a Mocking Bird almost made my list but I didn't read it in school. I read it after my 3rd kid was born. Felt kinda obligated, y'know?