Monday, March 31, 2008

These Hips Don't Lie


This post brought to you by Soccer Mom in Denial - posting every Monday on a different musical memory.

***********************************************************

About 6 months ago I took up running - decided that I really needed to get in shape and I clearly wasn't motivated to go to an aerobics class. At least I haven't been since the 1980's when Jane Fonda was all the rage.

My goal was to run a 5k before I turned 40. Literally starting from the couch I got better and better and had managed to run a 5k on the treadmill - with hills! However, winter set in and there weren't exactly any races going on. I kept it up a bit but it was still only me against the treadmill.

Spring came to Washington and I finally got my chance. Hadn't run in a month but I figured I could do it - with my 40th fast-approaching, I HAD to do it this weekend.

It was beautiful this morning down at the Tidal Basin - cherry blossoms all in bloom. And quite chilly. So for the first time ever, I ran in 3 layers of shirts and a hat. Cute thing with a tassel.

It was brutal. Did okay for the first couple of miles and then thought I was going to pass out. I started to walk for a little - about 1/4 mile. And then I hit the 3 mile marker and said f*%k it, I'm going to run across that line if it kills me. I cranked up the iPod and SPRINTED the last 1/4 mile. Finishing in less time than I ever had.

Thanks, Shakira.


7 comments:

soccer mom in denial said...

A good disco beat always gets me going.

Anonymous said...

Nothing like some motivational music to get you across that line.

Congrats on achieving your goal. Even if it wasn't exactly what you had hoped for, you still made it.

Sai Hijara - Ferraris said...

Love the beat...this made me dance! Happy MM!

Jenn in Holland said...

Brilliant! Well done!

I am so freakin' proud of you!!

Jen said...

Congrats!!! And this is so funny, because I was going to use this one last week for wijvenweek, but then found the "Obsessed about..." song instead.

Gunfighter said...

Good on you! Since my knee surgery, I haven't run from one side of the room to the next.

Luisa Perkins said...

Good music makes ALL the difference when running! Well done and congratulations.