Monday, May 19, 2008

Schoolhouse Rock


This post brought to you by Soccer Mom in Denial - posting every Monday on a different musical memory.

***********************************************************

I was reading a Washington Post series on childhood obesity in America. The series is going on all week and is looking at a number of aspects that encourage obesity in children - cuts in federal funding for physical education, lack of grocery stores in poor neighborhoods, etc.

How children (and parents) learn about basic science, math, and civics concepts reminded me of Schoolhouse Rock. I don't know if it's on anymore but every family should have a copy of the entire series. Everything from planets to adverbs is covered (I know you're all singing "Lolly, lolly, lolly" right now)

Oftentimes in my job I find myself discussing a piece of legislation because it affects what we do. People are impressed with my thorough knowledge of the legislative process. They think I have inside information because of my husband. Really, I'm just singing the tune, "I'm just a bill sitting here on Capitol Hill". And don't I look smart!

2 comments:

Jen said...

Very scary, and yes, perplexing. I still wonder about the effects of our over-processed foods, etc.

soccer mom in denial said...

I recently showed "I'm just a bill" to my kids and A) realized what a huge influence it was on my choice of work and B) what a downer of a song it is. The kids were pretty bummed out after watching that song.

That and I miss my little figure of Bill. It was swiped off my desk at work many years ago. I still have conjunction man though!

Conjunction junction, what's your function....