Monday, February 11, 2008

Another Round!


This post brought to you by Soccer Mom in Denial - posting every Monday on a different musical memory.

***********************************************************

With SMID visiting Europe this weekend I was reminded of my travels there as a child and all of the music we took in. Mostly, we staged productions of ABBA songs - "Fernando" and "Dancing Queen" were favorites. Occasionally we would be exposed to other music.

For instance, Roger Whitaker. Popular amongst the German housewives at the time, and sung in English, we found more fodder for our dramatic talents. I recall vaguely something about a staging of "Yellow Bird" and "Let a Smile Be Your Umbrella" - maybe that was the Muppets. Not that you could tell the difference. English-speaking children spending the summer in Germany will take whatever they can get.

Finally, I distinctly recall a particular song we learned while touring around - "In Munchen steht ein Hofbrauhaus, eins, zwei, Hofbrau!". While other kids were learning "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star" we were learning beer hall songs.

Oh, what an educational childhood!



*******************************************
p.s. Watching the Grammys as I write this. Anyone else think the sound quality is sucky? Isn't exactly selling any tunes.

5 comments:

Fourier Analyst said...

Love the link to Hogbrauhaus! Some fond and funny memories of that place!! Know what you mean about different kinds of childhood songs. My kids are growing up with a really mixed cultural background. I worry sometimes that they don't actually know much about Mother Goose. Please tell me your childhood was not stunted by missing out on such things!!

Anonymous said...

Hey, don't knock the Muppet Show! That was a staple of life when I was a kid. I actually went out and got them on DVD so I can let my little one watch them. Gotta be better than that crap that's on now. :)

Jenn in Holland said...

Ohmigosh! ROGER WHITAKER!! I loved to sing to his tunes too! Man, we used to work up some great acts...
And Abba, of course. I think there is still video somewhere of my sisters and I doing Abba in our basement.

Wholly Burble said...

That's funny--today for my MM, I got out a song from my childhood--from the Disney Movie Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs LOL--amazing how influenced we are by the music of our childhood.

Abba, ah, those songs just stay with you, don't they?

Jen said...

Oh, you've brought back some funny memories with this one!