Wednesday, February 27, 2008

A Little Geography Quiz

I got such a positive response to my geography post - half-joking - that I thought it was time for another geography teaching moment. Maybe I'll make this a regular thing.

For work and play I travel to lots of interesting places around the globe. Recently I started a new job where it is expected that I will be covering a few countries for our team. Every day I would come home from work and my husband would ask "what did you get? what did you get?" and I had to answer "I don't know yet".

Well now I know. Maybe you can guess:

1. You would never get a tourist visa for either of these countries.

2. Both countries' average highs hover around 90 degrees F - every month of the year.

3. One country requires French-speaking skills, but not so much the French spoken in Paris. Cross the border and you need to speak Spanish.

4. The other country has a name very similar to its neighbor to the north - which when mispronounced sounds like a racial slur (it's fun to watch people struggle with that one!)

5. I'll be taking malaria medication. And hopefully this time it will work.





Can you guess them?

4 comments:

Candy said...

OK I think the bottom one is Nigeria...

But the top one has me stumped.

soccer mom in denial said...

The top one is Haiti. It shares the island with the Dominican Republic. And the other one is Nigeria, which is south of Niger.

I never noticed the similarities in their names before. Duh.

Oh, and I am jealous.

Jen said...

Haiti and Nigeria... this was fun! Keep 'em coming.

Those sound like tough places to work, though.

Anonymous said...

Oh well, didn't get here early enough to put in a guess.... but this was fun.