Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Oh, the shoes

My sister wrote a really great post about breaking free from consumerism - the kind that leads to the needless death of a Wal-Mart worker.

You should read the whole posting - it's all very good info and thought.

Let me just highlight her ideas for detoxing:

  • Read this excellent, non-preachy guide (with cartoons!) to reducing your consumerism: Affluenza
  • Join (or at least explore) the simplicity movement. Read more here: Voluntary simplicity movement re-emerges and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simple_living
  • Get a fresh perspective: spend a night volunteering at a homeless shelter instead of lining up for deals. This will give you a whole new appreciation for the word need.
  • Make a list of the things you really want and then put off buying them for 3, 6 or 12 months (or ever), and I'm talking about a flat screen TV or that third pair of black heels, not health insurance. It may seem painful at first, but you may see over time that you don't miss the items.
  • Don't fill your leisure time with consumerism. Pick something you love to do - cycling, writing, photography - and do that instead. Yes, you may have to make some initial investments (don't use it as an excuse to gear up), but in the long run you'll have a much healthier and less expensive hobby than going to the mall.
Oooh, putting off the shoe shopping is going to be tough...

1 comments:

Jen said...

I've actually been purging, purging, purging my life of things.

I think our consumerism goes way beyond the horrors of what happened to that poor worker. It's terrible for us on every level.

I still have issues with my music addiction, but I'm getting many, many more CDs from the library these days.

I'll read your sister's post later.