Monday, August 11, 2008

I'm Lost



This post brought to you by Soccer Mom in Denial - posting every Monday on a different musical memory.

***********************************************************

I have been completely out of it. After a brutal week a couple of weeks ago, I spent last week vegetating. My husband was away and I had all these little projects I was going to work on. hmmmm...best laid plans.

I did manage to feed the cat and water the plants - although managed to mess up each of those on separate days. But at the end of the week, everyone was alive! Victory!

I flew up to VT on Friday afternoon to join my husband for a music festival he attends every year. An incredibly relaxing weekend to end a blissfully confused week and to kick off another round of back to back flights.

Alas, I have no soundtrack. Other than the explosively loud music I played to drown out a particularly turbulent flight last night, I have no musical memory to share this week.

Will you help me? I'm going to Ghana, Denver, Haiti, and Nigeria (and some twice) in the next 3 months. What music do I need to add to my iPod? What tunes will I associate with these trips? Something to bring me back to that 11 hour flight over the Atlantic? The interminable layover in Miami? The roar of the crowd at Mile High Stadium?

All recommendations appreciated!

2 comments:

Jen said...

It's the wrong part of Africa, but you can't go wrong with Miriam Makeba. She's sort of on my short list of women who can ALWAYS pick me up.

soccer mom in denial said...

I just read today's NYTimes article about Neil Diamond so you have to have I'm a Believer (preferably the Monkees version) in honor of Denver.

Not to be totally offensive to the Ghanaese (?) and Nigerians but I immediately thought of Toure Kunda's Fatou Yo for your African travels. He is from Senegal but it is such a happy song (it is on one of my kids' Putumayo CDs).

Otherwise some of my new favorites (even though they are old songs) Keene's Everybody's Changing, Hillary McRae Every Day and Galatic with Lyrics Reborn I Got It (What you Need).

The last one pairs a Mexican-American rapper in LA with a jazz/funk band from New Orleans (the other LA). There is already a Music Monday in the queu about that one.

Safe travels dear friend. I do envy all your journeys.