Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Happy Hanukkah!

Tonight is the last night of Hanukkah - the festival of lights (instead of one day of presents we have eight crazy nights)

In our house we celebrate Hanukkah and Christmas - we basically will celebrate a holiday provided it doesn't involve fasting.

This year Hanukkah fell pretty early in December which is good I guess if you're eager to get one holiday out of the way. Challenging if you thought you had more shopping days.

Each night we light the candles on the menorah and say a prayer (for peace, our cat, our loved ones). Then we eat a candy from our Neuhaus chocolate advent calendar - what can I say, we like food.

As in past years, we'll be having a holiday party - we generally build the theme around Beethoven's birthday which is December 16th (think apfel streudel). I make lots of tasty food - the tastiest being latkes. Oil, potatoes, salt - what's not to love?!

Putting together the soundtrack for the party is a bit more challenging. Beethoven works but this year I thought I'd try some other holiday music. Plenty of jazz and rock Christmas music. Not so much interesting Hanukkah music. Basically it's Adam Sandler's Hanukkah song (which I love, but you can't play that 10 times during a party without it getting a little old). The Barenaked Ladies have a few good songs. And then I stumbled upon The LeeVees - these guys are awesome. So sit back, and enjoy "The Latke Clan".




Happy Hanukkah everyone!

5 comments:

Candy said...

Beethoven's birthday! What a great idea for a party! You could play "Beethoven's Day" from the play, "You're A GOod Man Charlie Brown"

Jen said...

Have you heard Festival of Light? There's actually some non-barfable Hanukkah music on that. I liked the Leevees! Hadn't heard them before. We also are a family who goes from lighting the candles to my DS taking chocolate from his Kinder Egg calendar, which we have often gotten from my German daughter's family.

soccer mom in denial said...

Did I tell you I'm helping make latkes at the boys' school on Friday? Me and my cheese grader with a slew of gentile first graders.

I love your holiday threshold - no fasting!

Jenn in Holland said...

mmmmm. latkes! Save some for me?

Happy Hannukah!!

Wholly Burble said...

Hadn't heard them before--that was fun. Sounds like you and your family have many things to enjoy this month. Thanks for sharing some of them with us.