Monday, December 24, 2007

Pretty (Gory) Women


This post brought to you by Soccer Mom in Denial - posting every Monday on a different musical memory.

************************************************************

Seeing as it's Christmas Eve I thought I would share a holiday musical story.

Only I couldn't think of one. So instead you get blood and gore.

Today we went to see Sweeney Todd - the film version of the very popular and successful Broadway musical. My dad saw the Broadway show many many years ago but somehow failed to remember, or perhaps it was because the stage version was less bloody, that this wasn't a terribly "uplifting" film. I didn't expect that it would be a happy story, but a little less throat slitting would have been nice. That said, I highly recommend the film. Johnny Depp is amazing. Helena Bonham Carter (who was also fantastic in Harry Potter) shines again - as a grim character. And Alan Rickman, ever the evil character, lives up to his previous roles.

My musical moment is this - over the years I have heard or read the lyrics to any number of Sondheim's musicals. Unfortunately, I never got to all the shows and thus only lived off of the songs - without the backstory. Who knew "Pretty Women" and "Not While I'm Around" were staged in such gruesome circumstances. No bother, I will be purchasing the soundtrack next week.


3 comments:

Candy said...

I adore Sondheim. I've performed in several of his shows in community theater, but I've never done or even seen Sweeney Todd. I'm not sure I want to see this one. I'm sure it's good, but I don't know if I want to pay $30 to see it...plus going to the movies is such a rarity for us. We'll see.

soccer mom in denial said...

I think I'll pass. I do LOVE Helena though. I'm just a wimp with blood. I had to cover my eyes while watching the video you posted!

Jen said...

I can't WAIT to see Sweeney Todd. I loved the musical - Len Cariou and Angela Lansbury were amazing. I'm disappointed that they've made the gore so prevalent and cut much of the music, though.