Monday, December 31, 2007

Digital Killed the Radio Star


This post brought to you by Soccer Mom in Denial - posting every Monday on a different musical memory.

*************************************************************

A recent article in the Washington Post got me thinking about how I hear about new music. The article talked about how the Recording Industry Association of America is suing a man because he copied CDs (that he purchased!) onto his own computer. Yep, that's it. Not copying and sending to a friend. Not posting on a website where others can download it. Just doing what millions of iPod owners do every day. Scary.

Enough about how the RIAA is trying to kill music. It got me thinking about how I acquire new music - sometimes (oh please, government don't read this post) friends will send me inspirational CDs, or a copy of some songs from an artist they think I might like. Generally speaking it's music I wouldn't otherwise purchase - I hadn't heard it before and the artist isn't someone I would seek out. And I no longer listen to the radio.

I remember growing up we would always have the radio on in the car. Driving around with Dad it was WQXR (classical). Driving to school with my siblings it was WLIR (alternative - during the 80's). In college it was WHFS (alternative in Baltimore/Washington). Many of these stations sadly no longer exist or if they do the music is very different (all talk, Latin). And I no longer own a car. On the rare occasion when I am in a car I now have satellite radio which lets me choose exactly which genre I want - back to the 80's for the most part - or we set up the iTrip and choose from what we already own. Our stereo at home might have a radio - I have no idea. Our alarm clock plays NPR.

So how do I acquire music nowadays? Read my friends' blogs, go to a movie, and get mix CDs for special occasions. Uh oh, better hide.

5 comments:

Jenn in Holland said...

I should lay low too as I admit to finding my new music in much the same way (shame on me!) But, oh, I do love a mix CD from a friend and I do so love to share them that way.
I don't think my kids would even understand a world where music wasn't so easy to exchange via internet fun...
I say, as my 12 year old googles and listens to multiple songs and artists at the computer behind me!!

soccer mom in denial said...

Wow. That guy was really sued for downloading his CDs onto his computer? Isn't that what we all did with our 500+ CDs? See if John Stewart would on he would have a 9 minute piece on this.

I LOVE that you are a regular Music Monday player. I adore reading these. Happy New Year darling!!

Jen said...

I can't believe the idiocy... hmmm... so if we don't use CD players any more we can't copy our bought music onto computers? Yikes.

Happy New Year!

Casdok said...

Food for thought!
Happy new year!

Candy said...

Man, it's a good thing the RIAA wasn't around over Christmas, as I was filling up my son's new iPod. I could have gotten life.

If the recording industry hadn't made the price of music so ridiculous that a teenager can't afford to buy a CD, they wouldn't be in this position. They have priced themselves right out of the market. Remember when an album was $5.00?