Monday, December 17, 2007

Rocky Mountain High


This post brought to you by Soccer Mom in Denial - posting every Monday on a different musical memory.
****************************************************

Growing up with older siblings, my musical taste was heavily influenced by the records (LPs, big black disks) that my brother and sister would get for Christmas.

I very clearly remember a string of years with Donny & Marie (particularly the year of the purple rag look), Shaun Cassidy (red and white striped t-shirt, Da Do Ron Ron) and John Denver (Greatest Hits). These gifts were specifically given to my sister, but in a house where there was one turntable, everyone listened to these records.

I'm over Donny & Marie - not sure that I ever really was under them. And my Shaun Cassidy crush probably lasted all of a month. To this day, I am still in love with John Denver. Sadly, he was killed in a plane crash - ironic given that one of his most famous songs was about leaving on a (jet) plane.

Take Me Home Country Roads - who could love West Virginia so much?
Leaving on a Jet Plane - the saddest song about leaving a loved one.
Sunshine on My Shoulders - I vaguely remember this being sung on The Muppet Show
Rocky Mountain High - I'm in love with Colorado, a place I only ever briefly visited

and finally, Annie's Song. One of the most beautiful love songs ever. Sadly, he and Annie split, but it's still magical. "You fill up my senses." Sigh.



6 comments:

Candy said...

Ahh John Denver. My husband and I are 15 years apart, yet we were both John Denver fans when we met. Talk about opening windows?

My husband is the hugest of fans, and when he died, we pulled out the turntable, lit the house full of candles and played everything we had. He cried. It was the marking of a passage of time for him, and it made him very sad.

I hear there's a new People issue coming out this week called "People Who Left Us Too Soon" and JD is on the cover. We'll be buying it.

soccer mom in denial said...

I still, still, STILL love the Muppets Christmas special with JD.

Wholly Burble said...

I've been a fan for eons. I worked with John up in Aspen when I lived there--out at Windstar headquarters. He was a performer's performer!

Jenn in Holland said...

Oh, me too! Me too! I adore his every lyric and every sound. Sunshine on My Shoulders was one of the first pieces I ever choreographed and performed onstage as a little girl.
Oh, such sweet memories...

Flower Child said...

I thought for sure you would all call me a geek. Good to know that there are others out there who love this guy!

Candy - what a wonderful story. so touching.

SMID - he was AWESOME with the Muppets! Get that DVD!

WB - I heard he was also a great humanitarian, an all-around great guy

JiH - you too choreographed skits to music?! we'll have to compare notes sometime

Jen said...

I think Annie's Song is one of the most beautiful love songs, ever. And I was also influenced by my big sis's interests and what she got for Christmas. She was 11 years older than me, and I learned about both Magical Mystery Tour and the Temptations and Diana Ross and the Supremes from her.