Sunday, November 11, 2007

Clueless



*Names have been changed to protect the innocent and mostly stupid*


Back in grad school I became close friends with a classmate of mine, Mary*. Along with everyone else in our program we were all embarking on 2 years of a master's program. Mary and I hung out all the time - taking many of the same classes and living in the same neighborhood. We got to know many of our new classmates, including SMID, and two other women, Jane* and Jill*. It was an exciting and chaotic first year for all of us. About halfway through the first year, Jane, who had been living in school housing, moved in with Jill who had a big apartment in a great neighborhood. By the end of the first year everyone had gotten to know one another and we all went home for the summer.

In the second year when got back to school, I stayed in my fabulous apartment and my friend Mary moved into much better digs in town. Jane and Jill moved into an even better apartment, also in our neighborhood. As Mary, Jane, Jill and I were in the same program and lived in the same neighborhood we spent a lot of time together both studying and socializing.

Sometime in the spring Jane and Jill had a party at their place and invited Mary and me. We invited SMID to join us. It was a lot of fun - both Jane and Jill being great cooks with a well-stocked kitchen and fabulous taste in wine.

Later on in the evening J & J were opening cards from other guests. Anniversary cards. Mary and I thought this was so great - that we too should have a party celebrating our friendship! SMID had a quizzical look on her face. Later on, we all took a tour of the apartment and SMID whispered in my ear, "there's only one bed". Mary and I thought nothing of this - there was also a futon in the living room. Don't many students bunk up?

It must have been about 2 months later by the time Mary and I finally caught on. Yep, our friends were more than friends. Not that anyone cared. To this day we like to think it's because we are so open-minded that it just never entered our minds that there was something more romantic going on. Our friends like to think it's because we're as stupid as we look.

7 comments:

Fourier Analyst said...

I know just what you mean. Someones own personal choices are not something I think about and so putting a label on it would not even cross my mind unless someone pointed it out to me. It has happened so many times that I figure I'm not stupid, just not nosy!! If it really doesn't matter, then it is just not something that I turn my mind too!

BTW, welcome to SOS and what fun, you know SMID personally!! Can't wait to here tales about her!! ;)

Madam Crunchypants said...

I had a very similar experience at my first nursing job. It took me months to figure out that the two best nurses I worked with were 'together', but I agree with fourier analyst, I think it's because I'm just not nosy enough to really worry.

Jenn in Holland said...

Hahahahahahaha! Count me in with the stupid ones then too. I have had a similar experience in my life, actually not too long ago, and literally had to be told POINT BLANK "hey, we're a couple" before I put it all together. Silly me. I suppose I should have guessed from the living together, traveling together, sleeping in the same room thing. But I am dense. And clueless.
It's nice to know I am in good company!

Kateastrophe said...

HAHAH that's so funny! It would have taken me forever to catch on too!! Great SOS!

Jen said...

LOL. The card part might have given things away. ;-)

It sounds like grad school was a lot of fun, though!

Goofball said...

hihi funny

Wakela said...

That one certainly gave me a chuckle. Great SOS!