Monday, November 26, 2007

Others' Ears



This post brought to you by Soccer Mom in Denial - posting every Monday on a different musical memory (some are freakin' hilarious!).

***********************************************************

I am a terrible singer. I know this. I've learned to love my voice. Alas, others have not been so fortunate. These are their tales.

A few years ago, my then-boyfriend/now-husband spent Christmas with my family and me in NYC. He's Jewish but not so much practicing so the holiday was fine with him - except the church part, understandably. It was Christmas eve and I wanted to go the midnight candlelight service. My dad and brother wanted to go to sleep. I was prepared to head over to the church by myself but my boyfriend insisted on going with me as it was so late. The service involved a lot of singing as is typical and each time he stood up with everyone else - just didn't sing. After a few hymns I noticed that he began to move closer towards me. Thinking he wanted to read the words in the hymnal I moved my arms over so that he could see better. He edged nearer but his eyes didn't go to the page. I thought it was sweet that he just wanted to be closer to me. He later said that what he really wanted was to hear my voice - it was so bad he just couldn't believe it.

I had a wonderful dog, Wilma whom I adored and took with me everywhere. We went on lots of road trips together all over the northeast. She was a very sweet and sensitive black lab - she adored everyone and they adored her. As with any driving, there were less than great moments - idiot drivers (never me) cutting you off or any other numerous infractions. Typically I would curse them out and yell, overtaken by road rage. Anytime I cursed out another driver Wilma would shake and cower and try and hide underneath the seat (keep in mind she weighed 70lbs.) I learned to control my rage and Wilma calmed down. But then I noticed whenever I sang to the radio she had the same reaction. She liked the radio just fine - I could turn the volume all the way up playing hardcore rap music and she was content. Except when I opened my mouth. Back under the seat.

4 comments:

soccer mom in denial said...

When you started talking about Wilma (oh what a sweet dog she was!!) I thought, how is this going to be about music? Did Wilma have a singer's voice and you never told me?

Nope, even better - she had a discriminating ear.

Jen said...

Oh dear, these are sad stories indeed! But funny ones...

Wholly Burble said...

OK, record you singing and post the clip--we all want to hear and make up our own minds--possibly boyfriend and dog just didn't appreciate your tonal qualities, eh? Cute post!

I used to have a dog that enjoyed "singing along" and would throw back her head and howl along with any music or anyone singing--she added much to the mix through her shear desire to participate.

Flower Child said...

SMID - but she could also sing! better than me.

WB - there's an idea. hmmmm.... for another post.