Sunday, November 18, 2007

Mi Familia



I couldn't think of any soapy stories this week that:

a) I was willing to put in print for my friends and family to read (and therefore hate me for) or;
b) I was sufficently embarassed by (must be repressing the memories)

So I'm going to take this opportunity to describe a family who could easily end up in a place like Port Charles (that's for you General Hospital fans out there!).

There are two children who each got married, each had four kids and then each got divorced, and then each remarried into families with more kids. Of the second generation there are eight original children with three added on at a later date through a second marriage, and then even more inherited. Did you follow that?

Remember when you were in grade school and you learned all the different parts of a family - sister, brother, mother, father, aunt, uncle, grandfather, grandmother? And you had a pretty clear sense of who was older than the other?

This family has a niece 10 years older than an aunt, a grandfather who is only 38 years old, and a daughter only 11 years younger than a mother. A grandchild 7 years younger than a great-grandchild and a great-grandfather who has not yet reached retirement age.

Sound confusing? Welcome to my world.

Maybe next week I'll work up the nerve to tell an embarassing story about them.

8 comments:

Brillig said...

Hahahaha. Well, I'm sure that there's never a dull moment with a clan like that! And this lays the foundation for some delicious soapiness. Can't wait!

Jenn in Holland said...

Oh, ho, ho! That is just fantastic! My head is definitely spinning to try and get around all that math! hehahahaha!

soccer mom in denial said...

Having been friends since the "elevator announcement" at grad school (you did tell us in an elevator right?) I know some of these details and it is fun.

And also having met some of those step-siblings, you have a pretty cool family.

Goofball said...

Ok I didn't even try to figure it out. But I am sure looking forward to some soapy stories about them;

Flower Child said...

SMID - technically it was post-grad school but only by a couple of months. the elevator part sounds right.

My poor husband has trouble keeping them all straight. And did I mention that they tend to name the kids after themselves? Oy.

Jen said...

My Dad had a nephew who was five years older than he was, and I have a first cousin who's 82 (I'm 48). These extended families can, indeed, get very confusing.

tripleZmom said...

My family seems so boring in comparison!

Fourier Analyst said...

A cliffhanger without a story? Well that is an SOS first!! Great start gal, buck-up and get the courage to fill in the details for us. We won't judge, but we will relish!!