Friday, November 30, 2007

World AIDS Day

In advance of World AIDS Day (I'll be doing Blog Exchange on December 1st) I wanted to write a post about where the epidemic stands.

There's loads of statistics - and some are looking better these days. Then I got bored. I deal with faceless numbers all the time (HIV numbers to be specific, but still really just numbers I'd be stealing from the UNAIDS website).

I have a dictionary that I got for my high school graduation. In the front of it is this inscription:

May this represent a new beginning
- Dennis, 5 June 1986
He died of AIDS about a year later. I often look at this dictionary and think, have things changed for the better? Yes, in many ways they have. And in many ways, we have a long way to go. Thanks, Dennis, for setting me out on a path. Hope to do you proud.

1 comments:

soccer mom in denial said...

FC - I never knew about Dennis. What an amazing story.

Your work is so important. Thank you for making all of us healthier.