Monday, November 12, 2007

Wretched



This post brought to you by Soccer Mom in Denial - posting every Monday on a different musical memory (some are freakin' hilarious!). Also participating this week is Jenn from Holland.

*************************************************************

A few years ago my then-boyfriend/eventual-husband and I went to Paris for a romantic vacation. On our first night there we went for a stroll by the Seine. I kept complaining that my feet hurt so we headed back to our hotel, passing by the Louvre. We stopped in front of the Arc de Carrousel and he proposed to me. I of course said yes - or something to that effect.

The next night, all gleeful and newly engaged, we went to a concert at the IRCAM Center. I've mentioned before that he's a classical music fan - and this was going to be a classical music concert. But contemporary classical music (I myself have never really understood that term). He said he didn't think I'd like it but that this was a very unique venue and that the musicians were very well known. I, of course, agreed to go - I've been to any number of concerts that were less than thrilling - and I'm always open to try something once.

Oh boy! I don't even know how to describe the sounds that came out of these instruments - some violins, a trumpet, I don't even remember. I suppose somewhere in there was a tune or something linking these notes together but for the life of me I couldn't figure it out. Pipes clanging with the onset of winter have more melody to them. I tried desperately to latch onto something in this concert. No luck.

When it was over, my fiance turned to me and said, "What did you think?"

I replied, "Wretched".

Good thing he proposed the night BEFORE...

************************************************************

Click here to listen to Howard Stern mock a similar sound

2 comments:

Jenn in Holland said...

hahahahahaaaaaa! I think I know this sound you are describing. Like NOISE, right?
This is just hilarious. It's good that we don't have to LOVE ALL THE SAME THINGS when we love someone, huh?

soccer mom in denial said...

I some how ended up on the e-list for the "Modern Orchestra Project" in town. No thank you!

Good thing indeed.

And THANKS SO MUCH for keeping the Music going on Monday.