Sunday, November 25, 2007

Oh My God She's Dead?



I've mentioned in earlier posts my rather large extended family. For this Soap Opera Sunday I will be focusing on my closest family member, my sister Jennifer.

Back when I was a bit younger - maybe 8 or 9 - I begged my parents for a hamster. I so badly wanted that furry little thing. I had dreams of a Habitrail running through my head. Finally, my parents relented and for my birthday I received not one, but two hamsters. Seeing as they were sisters I named them Jennie and Jessica (that being my sister and me).

I was a pretty decent caretaker for awhile. The whole cage cleaning thing was a bit of a bore. And there were the few times one of them escaped and my parents and I would scramble around my room trying to catch the furry little thing. My best friend Alison and I would play with them all the time - let them run around our hands. They were so soft.

One tragic day Alison called and the conversation went something like this:


Al: Hi, what's up?
Me: [audible sobs]
Al: What's wrong, why are you crying?
Me: Jennie's dead [sob, sob]
Al: Oh my god, she's dead?! What happened?!
Me: I don't know, I just found her there [sob, sob]
Al: Found her where?
Me: Hanging from her cage! [sob, sob]
Al: OH MY GOD! SHE WAS IN A CAGE? SHE WAS HANGING?
Me: I'll be okay [sob, sob]
Al: [dawning realization that this is the hamster, not my sister]. Oh right, well you've still got the other one.


Please, whoever you are out there. For heaven's sake, do not ever name your pet after your sister or any other family member. (ahem, Jenn in Holland)

10 comments:

Jen said...

LOL... perfect mix-up. Sorry about your little hammie loss, though.

anno said...

What a great companion tale to Jenn-in-Holland's story! Very funny!

Fourier Analyst said...

Great story and lesson to us all! Happy SOS!!

Patois42 said...

Very funny. Duly noted on all future pet names.

Luisa Perkins said...

Oh, how funny/sad!

tripleZmom said...

So funny, I mean now, of course. I'm sorry you lost your hamster - and I appreciate the pet name advice.

Laura McIntyre said...

LOL What a mix up im sure some people could be in a panic over that

Candy said...

Ha, that's fabulous. I never understood the whole hamster thing. Cute rats? Nah, I'd rather have a kitten.

Wholly Burble said...

Oh my. Funny now, not then. And I'm sure your friend had a few anxious moments there when she thought you'd lost your sister.

And have you ever named another pet after family members? Just wondering ;-)

Jenn in Holland said...

But a plant? Surely you can name your houseplants Jennifer???