Monday, January 14, 2008

Campaign Songs


This post brought to you by Soccer Mom in Denial - posting every Monday on a different musical memory.

This week SMID is out of commission - the details of which will no doubt show up under a posting for "parental horror". Please let me know that you will be posting!


*************************************************************

In light of the recent activity around the upcoming presidential election I started thinking about campaign songs. Some original, some from bands we all know. What makes a good campaign song? I have no idea.

Here's a few that I thought were pretty interesting:

1932: Franklin Delano Roosevelt: "Happy Days Are Here Again" which was totally appropriate to the time

1972: George McGovern: "Bridge Over Troubled Water" which I very much love and was appropriate to the time, but don't you think it's a bit morose?

1984: Ronald Reagan: "Born in the U.S.A." which I think is particularly funny since Bruce Springsteen asked Reagan to stop using it - Go Bruce!

1988: Michael Dukakis: "Coming to America", an odd choice since I think it's about immigration. Doubt that would go over well today!

1992: Ross Perot: "Crazy", toooo funny! I love Patsy Cline but don't you think this song's title isn't quite the image you want to project? And a bit slow and romantic at that.

2004: John Kerry: "No Surrender". Ouch.

2008: Hillary Clinton: "You and I" by Celine Dion - demonstrating that letting the public vote isn't necessarily a good thing.

*************************************************************

Want to read more about Music Monday?

A2eatwrite declares herself Nerd Princess - yay Nerds!

Cablegirl (aka 42) illuminates War Pigs - hmmm....

Wholly Burble has thrown her hat in the ring this Monday

5 comments:

Jen said...

What about "Don't Stop Thinking about Tomorrow?" Yuck, rallying to "Bridge Over Troubled Water?" I loved McGovern, but I agree... not the best choice. Speaking of campaign songs, did you get a chance to read Liz's entry about "Touch Faith"?

Also, can you be talked into joining the Writing Game? I'd love to have you join! (Nothing like a little extra pressure the month you start a new job!)

Anonymous said...

My Music Monday is up as well this morning.

That's a great list for campaign songs, but I can't help but think that a good number of those choices were not really thought through. lol

Wholly Burble said...

I'm in on Music Monday too.

You know, I don't generally think about "music themes" and campaigning, but they do actually have an impact. Glad you brought this up--after reading some of these choices, I wonder WHO comes up with these LOL.

Jenn in Holland said...

Yeah, CRAZY doesn't seem like the best choice really...
And Bruce really asked Reagan not to use his song? Hahahahahhahahahaha! Love that.

Great to see you all keeping the game flying without our fearless leader today. I'll be back next week I am sure.

soccer mom in denial said...

Thanks so much for hosting the party. I really, REALLY appreciate it. The explanation for my absence is up.

Love you darling.