Monday, January 21, 2008

Talkin' 'Bout A Revolution


This post brought to you by Soccer Mom in Denial - posting every Monday on a different musical memory.

***********************************************************

This being MLK Day and being inspired by SMID's posting this week (Huckabee? Oh God help us!) I thought I would post on songs that inspired me to action.

I've been a bit of an activist all my life - hardly compared to some friends - but pretty much known among others as the one ready for a fight. Pick your battle, I'm in.

So this week's post is dedicated to those favorite songs that make me want to get up and do something.

Top of the List: "Talkin Bout A Revolution" by Tracy Chapman. I remember when this came out - heyday of George the 1st, successor to Reagan, one-termer. The "what me, worry?" president. Your own people can rise up against you when you dismiss and ignore them.

"Stop Children What's That Sound?" by Buffalo Springfield - I remember hearing this Vietnam Era classic on the Muppet Show. Hey, listen up! Pay attention!

and finally, a song that was adapted from another in response to Hurricane Katrina. oh, how far we have not come...(this one not for the kids)


**********************************************************

To follow up on my Campaign Songs posting last week - the Washington Post wrote an article on the very same topic!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great songs! Every time I hear Buffalo Springfield I get chills.

soccer mom in denial said...

I remember the Muppets singing "Stop Children". Of course, I thought the hunters were so mean!

PS - will have to watch the video later. Have kids around.

Jen said...

Great post! There are many songs of this ilk in my life, too, which I'll have to think of. Stop Children certainly is one of them.

Life As I Know It said...

I saw Tracy Chapman (she was opening for 10,000 Maniacs) at the Orepheum in NYC when that song came out. I had never heard of her before but I was immediately a fan. Went out and bought the cassette (!) and listened to it constantly on my walkman ;)

Jenn in Holland said...

Oh, yes, those are some great songs. I absolutely adore the Tracy Chapman tune. And of course the Springfield tune. What a fabulous post.

Sai Hijara - Ferraris said...

I love Tracy Chapman...those are great songs! Happy MM!