Sunday, January 06, 2008

Work is Harsh



I know none of you will shed a tear for me on this one. Probably throw tomatoes. But here goes.

I started a new job this past week. The first job I've had in an office in 3 years. In case you think I've been completely unemployed, I have been working - just from home. The consulting stuff got to be too unstable, and benefits too appealing, so I took a job (with more travel and interesting work too) and so it's back to the office for me. I think I'm prepared - I've been watching The Office for 3 years.

Well, at least I thought I was. Here's my past week's foibles:

  1. First day walking to the metro - 28 degrees with whipping winds at 7am. ouch.
  2. Work wardrobe. Shoes. ouch.
  3. Need a security badge to go to the bathroom and anywhere else. Kinda like a hall pass only worse. Fear being accidentally strangled by lanyard.
  4. Squatted in someone else's empty cube for 3 days before realizing that the cube they assigned me did in fact exist and wasn't just a figment of my imagination. To reach said cube, must enter wardrobe.
  5. Staff. retreat. next. week. Never been on one in my life. Can't say I've heard good things about them.
  6. No IM. No talking with my sister and mom who both live overseas in far away time zones.
  7. Husband still learning "make dinner" concept.

Now here are the good parts just so you don't think I'm a total whiner:

  1. Get to work with friend who is cool - alas need badge to get to her office.
  2. Have work space not defined by couch length
  3. Regular paycheck (soon)!
  4. Lunch buddies
  5. Conversations with people who aren't sleepy 19-year old cats
  6. Husband understands "make coffee" concept very well.


9 comments:

soccer mom in denial said...

Wah-hahahahaha! Would you hate me if my staff retreat was only in the morning then we all went to a bowling ally for lunch and a few lanes?

Of course, this new job brings you to me and the kids in a few weeks!!

Jen said...

What trade-offs! The badge thing is really weird. But I guess this is in D.C., right? I hope it gets more solidly in the enjoyable zone soon!

tripleZmom said...

And this is why I must find some way to never go "back to work". I would SO drop my badge in the toilet or something.

Wholly Burble said...

Ooooh, ouch--been a number of years since I worked in a building "with others" LOL. I don't envy you--but then again, you do get those benefits and that regular check.

Hope it all smooths out soon!

Flower Child said...

SMID - staff retreat is being held b/c team is dysfunctional. not a good start. on the other hand, free lunch.

JA2 - metal detectors, x-ray machines. this is DC. I'm so used to stripping when I enter a public building that I embarass myself in other cities.

JG - don't joke. seriously have had moments in the past week where badge interfered with bathroom moments. ugh.

WB - thanks! VERY optimistic! chin up, head down as they say

Jan said...

A new job is always nerve racking at first. I'm sure you'll adjust and get in the swing of things soon. YOu might want to get a more comfortable pair of walking shoes though..... (((HUGS)))

Jenn in Holland said...

Hahahahahahaa! Watched the office for 2 seasons? Who wouldn't be prepared for work??

Very great list and still my commiserations are all yours. I do love that Hubby has the making coffee thing down. That goes a long long way to override some of the other stuff!

Happy second week of work to you!

Shellie said...

This is what I hate about going to work too. That and you can't just not show up when a kid gets sick or something...Hope I can find a way to stay at home soon!

Brillig said...

hahahaha. Hilarious. Best of luck with the retreat... ewwww. That's scary stuff! And yay for a regular paycheck and benefits!!!! Wooohoooo!