Tuesday, January 22, 2008

It's An Honor Just to be Nominated

Oscar nominations came out today - and since there may be nothing more than an Oscar press conference next month, I thought I'd take this opportunity to put in a plug for a few favorites.

Let me preface all this by saying that I am by no means an Oscar fan. I don't dress up, have a party, place bets. I find the whole thing annoying - I don't need *one* single favorite, I prefer a collection of favorites. Heck, it's not like I go to only one movie every year. These are just some thoughts that you might not hear from the mainstream critics.

Viggo Mortenson in Eastern Promises - Holy Cannoli! Literally. Full frontal nudity in a fight scene. And somehow not gratuitous.

Philip Seymour Hoffman in Charlie Wilson's War - FRICKIN' HILARIOUS! Makes you want to become a CIA agent just like him - maybe they should put him in ads for recruitment.

Amy Ryan in Gone Baby Gone and Ellen Page in Juno - two sides of the young women maybe shouldn't be having children story.

Ratatouille - Cartoon cooking schools should be filled to over capacity after this film.

I won't comment on Best Picture - I haven't seen them all and I think the ones I have seen really bring different things to the table. You should see them all. No need to choose favorites. There are plenty of fake Oscars to go around.

And one sad note - an Oscar nominee we lost today:

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I was just reading about Heath Leger. How sad!

Life As I Know It said...

Heath Ledger was just on the news a few minutes ago. So so sad. I didn't realize he had a little girl! Tragic.

Wholly Burble said...

I hadn't heard the news--I'll have to go check it out--how sad.

I used to be a big Oscar night fan--but over the years, it's lost its appeal for me. I read about it, but just don't bother watching it anymore.

soccer mom in denial said...

I just wish the Oscars didn't go so late for us slobs on the East Coast.

And I am sad about Heath. I just loved him in 10 Things I Hate About You.

Jen said...

I loved him in both 10 Things and especially Brokeback Mountain. Such a talented guy. I haven't seen most of the pictures or performances that have been nominated, so I can't comment on your picks.