Thursday, January 10, 2008

Retreating


What will I be reading on January 10th? Well, for the past few weeks I've been telling everyone that it will be The Princess Bride - which is true. I'll be reading it at night when I go to bed.

Alas, the rest of the day I'll be reading minds.

I have an all day staff retreat on the 10th. For my new job. I'm somewhat famous for my ability to avoid such retreats - somehow I have magically either arrived at a job just after or departed just before a staff retreat. So, you see, I've never been on one. But I have heard horror stories.

At one retreat a friend was asked for one word that described her office. "Toxic" she replied.

I think the odds are that this will be a good day - alas, no bowling or karaoke like some retreats I've heard of. But maybe avoiding heavy projectiles objects and public singing aren't such bad ideas.

I'm fairly optimistic that this will be a productive exercise - for sure I'll learn a lot about my office and how it functions. I'll get to meet all the new people and learn a bit more about the current staff. I hear they're serving lunch too.

And later on that night I can retreat to my bed, forget it all, and be whisked away to a magical land with princesses and pirates.






1 comments:

Jen said...

I had a similar day, but then retreated to the diametric opposite of The Princess Bride - The Great Gatsby. It's still a good read, though.